Pride WA has been an integral part of the Western Australian community since 1989. We grew out of a community movement protesting laws that actively discriminated against members of our community and evolved to incorporate a festival and events calendar. The Pride Community includes lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer (LGBTQI), other people of diverse sexuality and gender, and their supporters.
Following extensive research and consultation, Pride WA is now committed to providing a platform by which the Pride Community can showcase their talents and continue to champion their rights and freedoms. The strategic plan developed through this process aims to ensure that Pride WA continues to be a viable and sustainable organisation, committed to strong governance, well connected to its community and working in partnership with others.
We recognise that our collective strength lies in our diversity and willingness to embrace and respect the differences that exist both within our Pride community and the broader communities in which we live, work, love and celebrate.
Pride WA’s mission and principal purpose is to encourage and promote community, culture and the arts in Western Australia by celebrating the community, unique talents and identities of our sexually and gender diverse community. Our public charitable objectives are:
- to promote and provide a platform for WA’s LGBTQI+ community to showcase their talents and unique voices through cultural expression at Pride WA events
- to celebrate the diversity and cultural expression of WA’s LGBTQI+ community
- to improve the self-esteem, health status and representation of the Pride Community in the public sphere
- to make more visible the meaningful and positive contribution WA’s LGBTQI+ community makes to the wider community
- to conduct fundraising activities to ensure the development and implementation of our aims and objectives